Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

5 hedgehogs in the garden? What food to leave out?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings 5 hedgehogs in the garden? What food to leave out?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

I have recently moved into a lovely old cottage in the middle of nowhere in North Wales. I am happy to report I have spotted 5 hedgehogs in the garden most nights, some times they are hard to spot but you can hear them ruffling in the leaves. I was wondering what food to leave out for them or if I need to leave any out? We have lots of slugs and snails in the garden and the hedgehogs seem to be looking after My Hostas ๐Ÿ™‚ My neighbour spotted a larger one in his garden with a few small ones and I presume the babies have now fled the nest and moved into my garden ๐Ÿ™‚ I have not yet spotted where they may be staying like the neighbour did.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you

Nic

Hi Snipesy

How lovely that there are hedgehogs in your new garden. It sounds lovely.

The best things to feed the hogs are cat/dog/hog food or cat/kitten biscuits. the most important thing for them is to leave access to water all day every day. They may be able to find food in the wild, but may not always be able to find water. Wide but shallow plant saucers are ideal for water – shallow enough that hoglets can’t get trapped.

But also important is to make your garden hog friendly. There’s some information here: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/helpful-garden-features/

There’s loads of information on this site about all things relating to hogs. Check out ‘Help hedgehogs’ by clicking the box at the top of the page.

Good luck and happy hog watching.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog