Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

5+ hedgehogs per night

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings 5+ hedgehogs per night

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi, I have only recently started putting hedgehog food out & have set up a camera. I am getting at least 10-15 visits per night comprising of at least 5+ hedgehogs. Is this normal? My camera is taking about 30 video clips per night picking up all sorts of different behaviours. Having only noticed hedgehogs in the garden last October I feel very inexperienced about having so many arriving each night. Any advise would be appreciated.

Nic

Hi KM-Basingstoke

Great news that you have hogs there and that you have been watching video of them on your camera. It does vary a bit how many visits, but many hogs do make multiple visits the same night. When they are foraging they would be finding a bit of food here and a bit there. A total of 5 hogs is not unusual, either, so don’t worry about that. It can be fascinating watching what they get up to!

If you find you are getting more than one hog visitor at the same time, I would spread the food out a bit – several smaller bowls are better than one larger one. Some hogs, usually younger ones or females in my experience, don’t mind sharing, but on the whole they prefer their own bowl. Hogs are naturally solitary animals.

Don’t forget to offer them water too. Access to water all day every day is best. A dehydrated hog may come out during the day and water being available could be a life saver. It isn’t always easy for them to find water in the wild. Wide but shallow plant saucers are ideal. I have a few of them at different places in the garden – the birds make use of them during the day time as well.

Good luck with the hogs and happy hog watching!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog