Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

a couple of questions please

Home Forums Champions’ chat a couple of questions please

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Im new to hedgehog interests. some sites say to feed meal worms and some say don’t. please can you advise
    also, I bought a hedgehog house and on the first night it was out the food that I trailed into the house was all gone the following morning. Are there other likely visitors to actually go inside and work their way through the maze of the inside of the house?

Nic

Hi TaraR

Welcome to the Forum!

I’m surprised there are still sites saying mealworms are o.k. for hedgehogs! They are a definite no. They have an imbalance of phosphorous and calcium which can cause calcium to be leached from the bones. They are particularly dangerous for hoglets who can grow in a deformed way. Unfortunately hogs love mealworms and sometimes can become addicted to them and not want to eat anything else. As you can imagine this can cause problems for people trying to treat these hogs if they refuse to eat decent food.

Some people may claim that it’s o.k. to feed mealworms in small amounts. The problem with that is, because they love them, they may seek them out and if others also fed them, they could potentially end up with a diet predominantly of mealworms, even though one individual may only be offering small amounts. Hogs will also visit bird tables for any food spilt, so may also pick them up from there. So it’s best that anyone who is providing supplementary food for hogs provides the best they can, so cat/dog/hog food or cat/kitten biscuits.

With regard to the hog house, yes there are potentially other things which could be eating the food as well as hedgehogs. For instance, if it was cat food, many cats can get into hog houses and often additional measures need to be taken to deter them. But also rats or mice would go in if they smelt food.

Many people have trail cameras so that they can check who is entering hog houses or eating food.

It’s a good idea to leave water available for the hogs all day every day. Wide but shallow plant saucers are ideal for that – hogs are very clever at spilling water in smaller bowls!

Good luck. I hope it was hedgehogs eating the food!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog