Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

A Hedgehog In My Garden!

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings A Hedgehog In My Garden!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Last Night, for the first time in the nearly 11 years of living here, I saw a hedgehog on my front lawn!!! I took it a small bowl of water but it was too shy to drink in front of me, so left it. I’m still mesmerised by my new little friend!

Ooh how exciting! It’s thrilling when you first spot one. Fingers crossed it will keep coming back and you can enjoy many more sightings. Perhaps you can put out some food too and maybe make or buy a hog house? I was in my house for several years before I spotted one too, my first clues were some poo last summer but it was not until this March that I first saw one so can understand how thrilled you must be . Happy hog watching !

Nic

Hi Kirstykat

Great news that you have a hedgehog in your garden! Yes, they can be quite shy. It’s best to just leave water (and food if you decide that’s what you wish to do) out for them and let them continue to be otherwise wild hedgehogs. It isn’t the best idea to encourage them to become accustomed to humans – sadly humans don’t all love hedgehogs. Wide but shallow plant saucers are ideal for offering water in. If a bowl/saucer is too small, they are very good at tipping them up!

If you do decide you’d like to offer the hedgehogs supplementary food, the things to offer are cat, dog or hedgehog food. Don’t be tempted to feed them any other ‘treats’. Supplementary food is treat enough for them and there are so many other things which aren’t good for them so best to stick to cat/dog/hog food.

Good luck. I hope the hedgehog continues to visit and maybe some others too.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog