Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

A new hog arrives

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings A new hog arrives

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Reading so many stories that their hogs have been away for a while, I have also had this worrying time thinking the worse of might have happened to them but with delight to see them return. But the good news is I have a new hog visiting my homemade station. He is smaller than the other two so hope he tucks in to grow big & strong.
    I don’t have a garden as such its a patio with lots of pots on to make a section on open plan lawns my own. Never did I think I would get hedgehogs here but delighted that they visit. I will miss them if or when they hibernation, I will keep putting food & water out hoping I will see them again. This seems to have become an obsession for me. Maybe like a few others on here 🙂

It can definitely be obsessive! Have you weighed the new hog to check it’s a good weight for hibernation? It can be hard to judge by eye and by relative size, unless they’re obviously tiny. But apparently you do get new juveniles appearing at this time of year, as they have to go further to find food as the natural resources become scarcer and people stop putting food out.

Great to hear that the little hog has found your patio and able to fill up each night, particularly as the weather is starting to turn.

We had two hogs hibernating in hog houses in the garden over winter last year, both of which hung around into spring. Through the summer and into autumn a young male and female would visit the feeding station nightly, but unfortunately neither of them took up residence and we’ve not seen them for a few weeks now.

We keep leaving food and water out in the feeding station, and a good supply of dry leaves by the hog houses in case we get a late taker for accommodation.

I live in Glasgow, Scotland and my visiting hedgehogs seem to have just disappeared over the last week or so and they were all huge as iv been feeding about 8 of them for months now, and theyve been visiting everynight until about 6 or 7 days ago now and two weeks ago i had loads visit me… and about 10 days i got a smaller hog visit although not very small, just like you did and he or she has been the only hog eating at my restaurant for the last 3 or 4 days.. i watch them on my camera and some are difficult to tell apart and some who have distinctive features.. im totally obsessed like a lot of people.. has anyone else on this website had hedgehogs go into hibernation over the last week or so? As im am worried about my babies?… any information would be greatly appreciated as i am worried… Xx

I also apologies for jumping on this chat. I dont know how to start a new chat as im just new in here .. Xx

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog