Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Abandoned House

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Abandoned House

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Approx one month ago I put a hog house in a quiet spot in the garden. Within about a week my little hog visitor had taken to using the house. I was v excited and noticed each morning as more brambles etc were being taken in. I never disturbed it – it was all at a distance.
    However, in this last ten day or so the hog has stopped using it even though it continues to visit the garden every night.
    Shall I move the house to a different spot to try and encourage the hog to use it once again – or maybe to attract a different hog?

Nic

Hi NiamhsNan

No I wouldn’t move the hog house. It’s obviously in a good place if it’s already been used. If you are absolutely certain that it has been vacated, I would clean it out so that a new hog or even the same one can start from scratch. So give it a good clean with boiling water so that any parasite eggs which might have got into the cracks, are killed. Once it’s nice and dry again, put about a handful of nesting material in to give any hogs the right idea and leave lots of other nesting material nearby – medium sized leaves, long grasses, etc. You never know, another hog may already be considering it for a prospective nest!

Hogs do tend to move nests now and then, that way they can minimise external parasites, so it’s a good thing really.

Fingers crossed for another tenant.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog