Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Abnormal Poo

Home Forums Champions’ chat Abnormal Poo

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

2 juveniles have been very busy making separate nests (as seen on my trail camera), but the poo shows some sort of stomach/parasite problem. What’s the best to do, feed just hh biscuit, smaller portions, hh meat and biscuit? Or nothing? I know it’s best to get them to the Wildlife people, but that would be difficult and cause stress too. I’m monitoring. Just don’t want to leave them without anything. Can something be put in their drinking water?
    Any help would be good. Any alternative ideas?

Nic

Hi Kassie

If the hogs have a parasite they need to be treated individually by someone who knows what they’re doing. Adding something to water would be too random i.e. there would be no guarantee which hog/s were dosed, how much, etc. Although how do you know they have a parasite problem – did you have the poo tested?

But, if necessary, it may be possible for them to be treated without having to stay. I would ring your local carer/rehabilitator, if I were you and discuss it with them.

I wouldn’t just stop feeding them, though, they may be relying completely, at the moment, on the food you’ve been providing.

Good luck. I hope all goes well for them.

Hi Nic,
    Thanks for replying. I have contacted a Wildlife centre and they said the usual things, can’t treat them without diagnosing what’s wrong ie poo sample. I’m monitoring at present and have had a couple of nights without problems!? They’re very active on my trail camera so I’m hoping for the best. I’ve really reduced the amount of food I’m putting out.

Why are you reducing what you are feeding? This is likely to cause them to have more problems.
    Nic and the wildlife centre are both right – they need to be seen by a carer. If they do have internal parasites that need treating it can only be done on weight and needs repeat treating. If you are worried you won’t get your hogs back that is highly unlikely as most carers send them back where they came from. I am not at all sure how you can tell they have problems by looking at the poo though as normally it has to be done under a microscope.
    I can tell you that just monitoring them isn’t helping them. Hogs with Fluke can be extremely active – until they die.
    Please catch and take them to your wildlife centre

Thank you for your ideas. I read (a couple of months ago) that over one hundred hhs had been handed in this year in my area alone. I know we’re desperate to help them, but all that handling, putting in boxes, driving to centres. As long as I see them on my camera every night,, by the feeding stations, by their nests, even this late, I feel happy.

Nic

Hi Kassie

A couple of months ago underweight hoglets may have still had half a chance of putting on enough weight and surviving. But if there are still underweight hogs around now they have little chance of surviving. There is not sufficient wild food around for them and food sources left out for them are not reliable. Apart from anything else, you may not be the only person who reduced the food they put out – as you mentioned above. That will only have made it harder for them to survive. But there is also the potential competition from cats and other wildlife who may be eating some of it.

If your hog visitors are a good weight and have chosen not to hibernate that is a different matter. But just because an underweight hoglet is attending a feeding station does not mean that it is not struggling to survive and would benefit from more help. So, if I were you, I would keep a careful eye out for any very small ones, and if there are any, discuss the situation with your local wildlife centre.

Good luck to all hedgehogs everywhere.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog