Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Absent Hedhehogs

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Absent Hedhehogs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Hi, I’m new to this forum, hope somebody can help.
    For the past year I have been feeding tinned chicken dog food and Spikes dry food to at least 3 hedgehogs one is resident in hoghouse in corner of garden but there has been no visits for the past four nights, any ideas why this could be.

I’m new to this too – but maybe they are getting enough food from ‘natural’ sources? Worms, beetles etc whilst the weather is generally warm and damp? Maybe your boys are off hunting a female? Hopefully they reappear. Is the food being taken, some of it, none of it? My hogs can come and go – taking all the food but still missing the camera! Is your resident a female with babies – sooooo jealous if she is! Maybe she is busy with tiny ones?
    Good luck.

I dont think the drop off in eating or food being taken is too much to worry about – seems to be a fairly common theme at this time of the year and once the post hibernation weight has been put back on – they seem to become more comfortable and less food orientated and more natural resources to use. there is also the added distraction of breeding season which takes a priority for most males who I expect can think of little else other than finding a female or biffing each other over winning one. Water is still necessary though – so plenty of dishes offering that is always welcome even if they dont stop for the food – and water can simply be left out in the open of course for any and all to take, which makes it easier to spot them partaking!

Resident must have been away on holiday, I set a small stick at hog house entrance two days ago and IR cameras recorded hedgehog at feeder then moving stick and going into house at 2:00am this morning.

Nic

That’s good news, Dave! You never know, maybe it is a female with babies and has been laying low for a bit. Let us know if any hoglets appear!

Hi. I was feeling really worried as our garden has been a hive of nocturnal hedgehogy activity since they came out of hibernation, with at least 4 different individuals visiting almost every night, (we have a camera set up to see what goes on). Then, 4 nights ago, they all disappeared and we haven’t seen a hedgehog since. I came on here to ask if anyone had any ideas and seeing similar posts has given me hope that there’s not been some sort of weird mass extinction round here. We don’t have any badgers nearby and haven’t spotted any on the camera, so hopefully they’re not the cause.

If anyone else has any other ideas about their sudden disappearance then I’d love to hear them please…and meanwhile will be checking my video footage anxiously every morning in the hope that they reappear. I miss my hedgehogs 🙁

Nic

Hi zippy

I have to say that when I hear about disappearing hogs these days the first thing that comes into my mind is the ghastly A24 trap, which you may have heard about. BUT, it is very quiet here at the moment as well. Often at this time of year the females are busy with hoglets and that means that there is less to attract the males. The males have a bigger range and if you happen to be on the edge of it, they may just be spending more time in other parts of it. Hopefully, if hoglets are the cause, some will soon be big enough to be out and about and with a bit of luck might visit you.

Camera was set up 6 nights ago…Hogs came out every night at 10:02 to 10:06..
    Last night 03:22 for 40 mins..back in after 2 hours.
    It’s been so hot this last week, ground is baked hard, probably not enough natural food around.
    Then again like Nic says…could be Hoglet time…
    Who knows??

We have been quite worried for the last 4 days. Having fed at least one hedgehog every night since hibernation, no food has been taken and there’s been no sign of any hog activity. Our course we fear the worst, but it’s nice to see a few positive ideas here and to see that we’re not alone.

A mum gave birth to four little hoglets in our garden last summer and at least two were still frequenting our garden into December, then at least one hibernated in our hedgehog home. As we’ve been following a hedgehog pretty much since birth, it’s inevitable any absence is going to get us a bit worried.

For how long do we keep leaving food out for our guests who never seem to show up anymore? Really miss our hedgehog, do hope it returns.

I’m (kind of) glad that we’re not alone in the reduction in activity. It just seemed so strange that they all stopped coming at exactly the same time. I thought they’d still visit for a drink at least…but still nothing so far…

Keep us posted – I’d love to know if/when they return.

Nic

Hi Mrs Rose

Sorry to hear the hogs have gone missing. It is just such a funny time of year. As I said in a previous post, it is very quiet here at the moment too.

I would keep putting the food and water out, especially with this warm and dry weather we are having. It is really helpful for the hogs if they do turn up to find some food and water waiting for them. It’s difficult for them to find some of their natural food in this weather. I know it sounds a waste of food, but worth it if it saves a hog’s life. The only thing is, if you feed wet cat food, it’s best to change it daily in case flies have laid their eggs in it.

I hope they return soon. I know how easy it is to get attached to them. I have known some of the hogs here since they were hoglets, too. Good luck and let us know if/when they return. Especially if they have hoglets!

Hi Nic and Zippy,

Thanks for your advice and kind words of support. We will carry on putting out dry hedgehog biscuits and fresh water every evening in our hedgehog feeding station, and will keep you updated if or when they return. It is strange that so many people are experiencing the same issues.

Nic

Hi Mrs. Rose

This sort of thing seems to happen at certain times every year, when lots of people find their hogs are missing at the same time. In a way it is good because it seems to indicate environmental conditions or biological reasons are the cause rather than something more sinister happening locally.

Even if we know that, it can still be worrying, but loving wild animals can be a worrying thing. But my feeling is that they repay us when they choose to share our gardens with us and allow us to see, a bit, into their lives.

I look forward to hearing of any developments with the hogs.

Hi,
    I have also noticed a drop in hog visits over the past week. At one time I had at least 4 feeding every night and all the food being taken. Now some nights hardly any has been eaten. Also my hog house which was used for hibernation and overnight stops seems to have been abandoned which is very disappointing. I am missing them.
    Last night however I did watch one hog (from a distance) which decided to feed on the crumbs from a bird suet block which had been dropped by the birds. I am concerned this is not good for him/ her but don’t know of any way to stop this. Wish it would stick to the hedgehog food provided but then again when has a hog ever done what we want! 😁
    Any thoughts?

Update
    Good news, Two hedgehogs now visiting the feeder box and water bowl again.
    Not so good news, after two weeks of no action at the hog box I decided to have a look inside, it was empty so I have cleaned it out hopeful that it will have a new resident soon.
    Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog