Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Addicted to peanuts!

Home Forums Champions’ chat Addicted to peanuts!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I have a hedgehog that is addicted to peanuts! If I don’t put them out he or she goes off in a huff and in fact often won’t come back for a day or so! (Verified by a web cam) He or she almost préfères nuts to anything else….meaty dog food, hedge hog feed or even dried meal worms! Any thoughts on this matter?

Nic

Hi Ruedeleglise

Peanuts, whilst not as bad as mealworms are not good for hogs as they have a higher level of phosphorous to calcium. So you really need to try to wean the hog off the peanuts. Try mixing them in with other food and gradually reduce the peanuts. I’m assuming the peanuts are not whole ones.

This is some information about feeding hogs, which has a table at the end showing the calcium/phosphorous ratios for various foods.
    http://www.valewildlife.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Feeding-wild-hedgehogs.pdf

I hope your mention of dried meal worms does not mean you are offering those. As you will see from the table, they are much worse than even peanuts and are best avoided completely.

Good luck, I hope you manage to persuade the hedgehog to eat some food that’s better for it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog