Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Adult hegehog on camera at 3.00 this morning

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Adult hegehog on camera at 3.00 this morning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

JLP

Hi
    My wildlife camera took photo of the back of an adult hedgehog this morning a 3.00. Could it have been out because of the mild weather,moving hibnating nests or looking for something to eat. Think it has been hibnating in hedgehog house I have. Should I put some food and water out this evening in case it comes back.

Jane

Nic

Hi JLP

Yes, I would definitely offer some food and water. It’s best to leave water available all day every day, including during the winter as you never know when a thirsty hog might turn up. Some people also leave food available all winter i.e. cat/kitten biscuits last a bit longer than some other foods.

There are several potential reasons – the hog may be one who has been hibernating and is just out and about to move nests, or maybe hadn’t put on enough fat to last the whole of hibernation in the first place, etc. (It may disappear again and potentially go back into hibernation). But it could also be a hog from elsewhere who decided not to hibernate and is now finding it isn’t getting enough food from its previous sources.

Whatever the reason, it may be hungry and thirsty and welcome some food and drink. It can always decline to eat it, if it chooses.

Good luck. I hope all goes well with the hog.

JLP

Thank you very much for your reply. Have put food and water out for it and got my wildlife camera near were food and water is.

JLP

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog