Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Adult hog circling young hogs

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Adult hog circling young hogs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

We have various hog visitors/ residents appearing nightly, including three youngsters- perhaps 2-3 months old? Camera footage this week shows one of the adults ( who we think is male) repeatedly circling two of the youngsters in turn – looks like amorous circling and spine-sniffing to me. Is this something other people have seen ? Many thanks

Nic

Hi Carlyph

Yes, I had a male hog here who quite persisitently circled a very young hoglet over a few nights. He was actually a very large hog, but a bit of a gentle giant and well down in the pecking order of the males visiting here at the time. The other hoglet around at the time was ignored and may have been a male.

I wondered whether the hoglet would be scared of the adult male but it didn’t seem to be at all and almost seemed to attract his attention on successive nights. Of course it was never going to lead to anything and only went on for those few nights.

It’s interesting to hear that it is happening elsewhere as well.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog