Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Advice about a small hog please

Home Forums Champions’ chat Advice about a small hog please

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PPT

Hello, I feed a number of hedgehogs regularly all Autumn and, last year, throughout the Winter.

Most are a reasonable size but for the last two weeks a tiny but seemingly healthy hog has been visiting too.

I’ve been watching more carefully than usual as I had to take a sick one to Tiggywinkles last week and am looking out for evidence of diarrhoea in the rest.

Today the tiny one was at the feeding station when I went to put the food out so i quickly weighed him. He is 254g.

Ought I take him in to a sanctuary to over winter or am I being a nitwit and should just keep feeding him?

It’s unlikely he will survive the winter at that weight. In addition the stress of trying to is likely to cause his internal parasites to get out of sync. You need to take him to a rescue
    Thanks for asking the question before he gets sick

PPT

Thank you Stef.

Been waiting for it tonight with box and warmer all prepped but the random fireworks seem to have put everyone off.

Hello PPT i was just wondering how you got on with the tiny hog you weighed, hope you managed to get him and he is safe now.

PPT

Hello,

I did indeed. And then a couple of days later found two more (siblings?) in the daytime. One walking up to my garden gate and the other in a bad way in one of my flower beds.

Wood clearing behind my house disturbed them I think. Didn’t wait a minute and bundled them both into straight to Tiggywinkles.

The trail cam is only showing medium sized hogs visiting now. I’ll keep feeding and possibly try and weigh them in the next week just in case my estimates are right out and they need overwintering.

That’s brilliant, at least little ones got a good chance now, a few weeks ago i had 4 hogs visiting but gladly all big, got one now and she has taken all the straw in i left outside, she is still coming out for a drink and biscuits .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog