Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Advice about hogletts please

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Advice about hogletts please

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I have 2 hogletts visiting me every night. They are both around 450 grams. I’m feeding them meat based cat food and Spikes food. They are eating a huge amount and I’m topping up supplies after their first visit for their return later in the night. They also have access to a water dish. Is there anything I should be doing so they are ready for hibernation?

Nic

Hi Sonjadaisy

Sounds like you are doing the right things. If they are over 450g they have a good chance to survive hibernation. There is never any guarantee, though, as it is a dangerous time for hogs. I would just keep offering them food, until they decide to hibernate. Although a few hogs decide not to hibernate and keep visiting all winter!

You could make sure there is loads of material around in case they decide to hibernate nearby. So lots of leaves, long grasses. They prefer medium sized leaves. Hoglets seem to be naturally expert nest builders, so you can leave that to them.

Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog