Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Advice needed please

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Advice needed please

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone
    I need a little advice please I have put fresh bedding in my hedgehogs house & a couple of days later a hedgehog has started going in & making it ready for hibernation.

however tonight I caught my 1 year old cat with her 2 paws getting the bedding out, any suggestions what I can do I have put a small rock in front of the house so the hedgehog can still get in

Hi, cat probably thinks it’s an interloper into her garden! Do you have a tunnel on your hog house? They should really have one and if it did I can’t see a cat being able to pull the bedding out. Mind you, I have seen houses with cats totally inside them on pictures. Only being 1 Yr old the cat maybe small yet, so will manage to get into allsorts. If the house hasn’t got a tunnel you could think about getting a curved drainage pipe and fixing that to the house, or, a long piece of straight pipe. Hope this helps, best wishes.

Nic

Hi Chezzy

Some cats seem to be able to get into just about anything! But I imagine it won’t continue to bother if it knows there’s no food in there. Although it might just be playing if it’s a youngster. With my boxes, which have internal passages, the cats needed to get at an angle to get in, so that with an obstacle to the side away from the internal passage (in my case an earth filled flower pot, so not easy to move), it made things difficult for them. But with something in front as well, that would help.

Is the rock having any effect?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog