Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Advice on insulating hedgehog house

Home Forums Champions’ chat Advice on insulating hedgehog house

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I’ve just built a hibernation box as per designs online, with a short tunnel leading to a winebox chamber. I’ll put straw and dry leaves in for bedding, but I’m wondering whether it would help any hedgehogs to stay warmer if I put a layer of aluminum-coated foam which I bought in a hardware store for other purposes. We are in northern France and the temperature gets down to around -10 to -15 for a couple of weeks or more.
    If yes, should it be the floor or the ceiling. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Picardie, France

Hi Dave

Anything you can do to make it warmer won’t hurt. You need to make sure though there is enough room for the hog. By the way as well as hay they like to use torn up newspaper ( dry )
    I would personally try to surround the house with the insulation and also underneath
    However, bear in mind that hogs have coped with your weather for years and they can make the best nests themselves

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog