Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Advice please

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Advice please

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Well as a result of back pain and insomnia I found myself sleepless and sitting out in the garden at 2am. I never take a torch out with me because the hogs don’t like it, but for once I wish I had!
    I saw the outline of a creature walking towards me, but initially thought it too large to be a hog. As it got nearer I became aware of a tapping noise – almost like it was wearing a stiletto on one foot or a pebble – I’m not going to lie, I was a little anxious not being able to see exactly what it was, because hogs are usually so quiet.
    But anyway, feeling tired, my reactions were far too slow and as a result the creature disappeared into the dark. But I have since thought it may have been Big Bruiser, the large hog who has been missing for a couple days.
    Can anyone tell me what the tapping may have been? I’m now worried that the reason I haven’t seen Big Bruiser is because he may have an injured foot and as a consequence he is dragging a foot. What do people think? Would the foot if injured make such a loud noise? Do hedgehogs have problems with overlong toe nails like some dogs ? Has anyone any experience of hogs having stuff stuck to them? Obviously I don’t want to capture a wild animal unless it is in need of care, so any info and advice appreciated .

Update – cam confirms Big Bruiser is back. No obvious signs of injury. I will continue to monitor.

Hey Hettihog,
    I have never heard a noise like you are describing.
    I had a good website page of HH sounds I put up here. If you can’t find it I will put the link up again.

Nic

Hi simbo65

I kept a copy of the link you gave us:

http://hedgehog-rescue.org.uk/sounds/noises.php

Super- Hope Hettihog can identify the sound but I don’t think HH in stilettos was up there.

Thank you guys for your response and the link. I already picked up and listened to the link simbo65 and nic posted some time ago.
    I had heard hog making an awful noise during the day and the recordings turned out to be very useful in identifying hog coughing. As a result of the post I bought some new straw and piled the leaves up near the shed just in case the cough was due to a dirty nest. But I suspect it was more likely due to the weather and poor humidity.
    The noise I referred to in my post was nothing like any of the recordings and I feel I should take this opportunity to tell you that you can be assured I wasn’t under the influence of alcohol at the time lol – the sound was very real and worried me to death!
    Furthermore, it really did sound like a stiletto or a pebble.
    Since the event I have spent more time outside so that I am able to see the hogs close up and thus far both hogs look very healthy and the stillettos seem to have been shelved for the next dinner dance lol !
    I have come to the conclusion that big bruiser must have had a pebble stuck on him somehow!
    But if the stilettos come out again I will let you all know.
    Thank you lovely hog lovers, your response and expertise have been invaluable to me since the start of my hog obsession and the forum will always be my first port of call when I need help, guidance and support. X

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog