Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Advice please

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Advice please

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    I have had a Hedgehog using my hog house for the past two years. However a small newcomer arrived the other day, and a confrontation started. In the end the newcomer took over the Hog house and I haven’t seen the older one since. How could I get him back.

Nic

Hi Asimov

Unfortunately, you can’t get him back – they are wild animals so we can’t interfere with their interactions. But it’s not usual for a hog to stay in one nest for 2 years, so it’s even possible that the hog has changed before now and you didn’t notice. If it was the same hog, you were lucky it was there that long. So I would just be pleased that a hog is using the hog house at all. To have any hog in your hog house is an honour.

If you normally leave food out, I would keep doing that. If a hog knows you offer food, it might quite likely come back after a while to get a share of that, even if it has found a sleeping place elsewhere.

Good luck.

We have a hedgehog house at the bottom of our garden we were so happy to catch them on the night cam taking leaves grass and hay into it about 4 weeks ago. We put the cam out most nights and this week noticed they were not going in it anymore was so upset last night as the cam captured that a big rat has moved in😥our hogs are still coming to feed 1 large and 3 smaller ones. We are now thinking of putting another house where they are coming in . Do you think they may move back when we have moved ratty on.?

Nic

Hi Shirlanne62

Sorry to hear about the rat, but unfortunately it happens sometimes. Impossible to say whether or not the hogs will use that nest again – it might depend on how messy the rat has been. I’m not so sure that they are so particular about where they mess. But if you provide another box, the hogs might recycle some of the materials or you could leave loads more vegetation near the new box. But if there are rats around, there is always the risk that the same thing happens again. Worth a try, though.

Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog