Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Advice please – hog in the garden at 7pm – is this ok?

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Advice please – hog in the garden at 7pm – is this ok?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hello, my first post in the forum and I would appreciate some advice please. I was surprised this evening to see a small hedgehog on my patio at 7.10pm. It had some water from the bird bath and it appears to be in good health, no obvious issues. It ate for about 20mins (spikes semi-moist) had more water and then I followed it (from a distance) as it went out under my gate, into our car park and into shrubbery in the corner, I have seen a hog in there before, it is quite dense shrubbery with large hebe and large grass plants. My question is should I be concerned? Is something wrong or could it just have been in need of some water? I had a hog in the garden last night at 8.45pm and looking at the camera footage it looks like the same one. Thanks 🦔.

Hello Totoro
    My resident hog is usually out at about 9pm at the moment so still light. This seems to happen as the nights get shorter and foraging time is reduced. I wouldn’t be too worried as long as it’s purposeful but would keep a check on it. I think they are also sometimes out a bit more in the daylight if they have hoglets and are nesting. Good luck!

Thank you 5sandown 👍.

Update; the hog was back this evening at 6pm! Had some water and some food for about 30mins but this time it didn’t leave straight away, it had a wander around my flower beds, had a looking in the wood pile and then went under the shed. Then it headed out under the gate and to a different part of the car park shrubbery. I will see if I can post some video of it into the gallery area. It looks healthy but I am just concerned as to why it is coming out so early. Thanks.

Update: saw the hog that has been coming for feeds at strange times, in my garden at 9:30am this morning so I phoned local rescue centre, explained the recent issues and they advised to take in to them, which I have done. They advised it was an elderly female, it wasn’t nursing so no hoglets to worry about. It had recently suffered some strimmer injuries – spines cut near its head- but it wasn’t significant, so not sure if that was cause of the strange behaviour. It has some ticks near its eye as well, so a bit of a poorly hog. But it is now being safely looked after and hopefully will make a full recovery 🦔🙏

Update: Unfortunately the hog didn’t make it and died a couple of days after I took it to the rescue centre. It was riddled with lungworm, poor thing.

Most hogs that have an issue with something – eg like your strimmer cuts, are likely to have internal parasites that have got out of hand as stress can make them worse.
    For anyone taking a hog to a carer/vet I would strongly advise you ask them to check for parasites immediately as these are often the silent killer and not the reason you’ve taken the hog in the first place
    Not all carers/vets have a lot of experience with hogs and would probably welcome any thoughts. Those with lots of experience shouldn’t be offended as you both only have the hogs best interests at heart

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog