Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Advice please on nesting Hog

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Advice please on nesting Hog

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

HI

We had a hog in our garden last year and this year we have at least 3!! Two together have been caught on camera. They are also “biffing”.

We have a feeding station on the patio next to a hog house that was a fathers day present. Last night when looking through the camera of the night before there was 2 videos of a young “bullied” hog out at 4.45. It is light then. So was very surprised as tis has never happened before. He went into the hog house and no video of him/her coming out.

n the morning on quietly opening the roof we have a resident hog. Problem is this is in the middle of our patio. Question? Can we move the house with hog in it to a more suitable place out of the midday sun? Or wait till he leaves at night, hopefully not to late and move it then, risking he cannot find it again. This hog is normally around and active at 10.00pm.

Any advice will help as we are new parents!!!

Doug

HI
    Further to the above, he/she was seen in the feeding station at 8 o’clock!!! And then wandered off around the garden!!

Doug

Nic

Hi dougblun

Glad to hear that the hog was out of the box, presumably fit and well tonight. It won’t have been light too long at 4.45, so the hog may have found itself away from home a bit late and headed for the nearest hog box to spend the day. I found a hog the other day sleeping in one of my feeding ‘houses’ – it happens sometimes. Sometimes they stay for a second night but more often move on.

I know what you mean about not wanting to leave a sleeping hog in a box in hot mid-day sun. When that has happened here before, I have tried to strategically place a plastic table over the top so that it shaded the hog house, rather than moving the house.

Good luck with the hogs and happy hog watching.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog