Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Advice please.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Advice please.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I see my hedgies are taking leaves into the feeding station but not enough to make a nest. I have another house which is stuffed with bedding and seems to be ‘active’, with my entrance markers being moved every night. Do I create a second feeding station and see what happens or do I clear out the bedding from the original feeding station and hope they get the message and nest elsewhere – I have piles of leaves and hay left elsewhere under the shrubs where they could be quite cosy!
    Decisions, decisions!

Nic

Hi DwarfHog

I had that problem last year and guess what – I had to get another feed box! I think it depends a bit on how many leaves they’ve taken in and if they continue to. If there are only a very few and no more go in, I might take them out, but the one here took loads in and continued the next night, making a very elaborate nest, so clearly had to be left to get on with it.

If you can, I think I would be inclined to make another feeding station and see what happens with the other one. It’s always handy to have a spare!

I do have a spare crate – bought just in case!! But there doesn’t seem to be any more leaves added to the feeding station overnight so I will wait and see! Meanwhile the doorway to the hogilo house is a well and truly beaten path! I daren’t open it again, just in case I disturb a sleeping hog but I will pile some leaves around it as extra insulation. They don’t make life easy for us do they!!

Nic

Little darlings! Sounds like me – last year when the hoglet made a nest in the not very deep food box, I was so worried that it wasn’t deep enough for hibernation that I made a ‘leaf duvet’ to go on top of the box! (loads of leaves in a plastic sack). As it turned out he only used it for day sleeps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog