Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Advice re small hog

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Advice re small hog

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello.. new here and need advice.
    I have had hogs as long as I have lived here.. hog house with mum and young and 4 in garden at the moment.
    Question, spotted a very small hog.. about the size of a large orange.. not weighed it but cannot be more than 300gm.. do I need to start worrying or can I keep feeding and see how it goes.. seems entirely healthy and very active.
    Thanks
    Mark

Nic

Hi MarkUK

Welcome to the Forum. At this time of year, I would keep feeding the hoglet – they grow quite quickly when they’re that age – as long as you are feeding good quality food, i.e. cat/dog/hedgehog food and/or cat/kitten biscuits and plenty of access to water.

The guidance is 450g in October, but it’s really a question of playing it by ear a bit, especially with the changes in weather, these days.

Some hoglets, of course, choose not to hibernate at all, but others leave it until as late as December. I had a hoglet here last year who didn’t hibernate. She didn’t seem at all bothered by the cold and only missed visiting when the snow was too deep for her. She was back as soon as the way was clear again.

If you have seen one hoglet, I wouldn’t be surprised if some more turned up!

Good luck with all.

Many thanks.. will keep feeding it up(hedgehog food from Jacobi Jayne.. have a couple of cats often visit.. no point putting out cat food!) generally arrives about 5.30 before the bigger hogs who tend to barge it out of the way! And only a few feet from my pond… they all go down the beach to drink immediately after eating.
    Will see if I can post my photo somewhere
    Cheers
    Mark

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog