Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Another hedgehog out in the day

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Another hedgehog out in the day

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have a new garden that was very overgrown which I am gradually tidying up (but not too much!). I have lots of different areas left for wildlife, with hedgehogs mostly in mind, and know I have at least one in the garden as I came across it, fast asleep, as I was cutting back the indoor jungle that was the greenhouse last month.

Today, at 11ish, I saw a hedgehog pulling up grass – it made several trips to do this. I know it’s not normal for a hog to be out in the middle of the day. I plan to leave the area it’s hiding in alone and make sure it has easy access to water and cat food. Is there anything else I should do?

Nic

Hi blissfulbabe

If the hog is pulling up grass it’s possible it might be an expectant mother making a nest – even though it’s a bit late in the year. It’s a good idea to leave out food and water for it. If the hog is behaving strangely, is out in the open (other than moving purposefully through it) or you are otherwise worried about it, you can get the contact details of your nearest carer from the BHPS on 01584 890801. You can then explain things in more detail and take their advice.

Thank you

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog