Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Another mouth to feed.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Another mouth to feed.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

A few weeks ago I spotted one of my guests (on trail-cam footage) heading back to its winter quarters in one of my 3 hog-houses. I was a bit concerned that it seemed on the skinny side compared to my other fat friends foraging post-hibernation.

A couple of weeks ago, I started to carefully investigate the hog-houses to see if there were still guests after quite some time when the straw indicators remained untriggered.

The first two were uninhabited, so were given a good clean-out and just a handful of new-hay.

The third, where my skinny friend had last been seen was occupied and she (I guess) showed signs of life.

So carefully closed up and waiting and hoping, just a couple of checks to make sure all was still well.

Last night the trail-cam was tasked elsewhere, but this morning the straw indicator across that hog-house had been triggered.

I’m hoping she had been out, certainly not a lot left in the nearby feeding station :). (I know where the trail-cam will be tonight!)

Now when I started feeding my visitors last year, they ate quite a lot of wet cat-food from tins, and they didn’t seem to like dried cat-food a lot.

But as regular visitors appeared less and less, I stopped putting out wet food and the odd visitor would have a good nibble at the eye wateringly expensive Royal Canin Mother & Baby Cat dried food (ignoring other offerings 🙁 )

Now, they seem reluctant to change back to tinned food Grrrrrr!

(Well tough, when the packet’s empty they can eat tinned or slugs, their choice! 🙂 )

Anyway, I’m so pleased that the skinny one seems to have made it through and hopefully become active,, even if the feed bill will go up. And I may get to clean out the third hog-house soon 🙁

Yes,I didn’t think that feeding the odd – very odd – garden wildlife would lead to financial ruin either! I get through – no let’s reword that – they get through 1kg of encore cat biscuit a week, plus the odd shake of ‘l love hedgehogs’ muesli. Plus any wet food that my old lady cat loved last week – hence the repurchases – but won’t touch this week! I think they must all get together at the bottom of the garden and chew over their combined menu preferences for the coming week and then con me into providing same!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog