Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Anxious Night

Home Forums Champions’ chat Anxious Night

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Nic

Are you sure he can fit through the hole in the fence?!!

I just hope he doesn’t run in the road. He might flatten a passing car!๐Ÿคฃ

…Or eat a few badgers!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Nic

Poor hog! It’s a hog, so it must be lovely and not it’s fault it got so big. So, sorry I was joking about him/her! (Funny though the other comments were!). I hope he/she is doing well and that, maybe, some of the others have been sighted? Sounds like you have a good place for them there.

Yes, I was a bit concerned about his size but of the four we brought home, two were that big, the other two “normal” well fed hog size.

He’s still here, nesting all day and out for five or six hours every night. Whilst I’d like to see him slim down, at present he no doubt has sufficient fat stored to survive hibernation!

We live at the end of a cup-de-sac so cars present very little problem unless he roams miles and I’m not sure where the nearest badgers are. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m fairly sure he’d be able to get out through the hole. It’s a chainlink fence and a few years back I went out one night and startled a hog which tried to exit through the fence. It got half way and couldn’t get the rest of it through. Naturally it couldn’t come back as its spikes prevented it so I had to cut it free leaving the hole. It’s been regular track through to the field for hogs and my cats ever since. The field is on a slope with little topsoil – chalk near the surface – so it’s no real use for growing crops. It’s left wild so ideal for hogs.

My neighbour has now bought a camera and we think the other monster is now in residence there. We can’t tell if the other hogs he sees (and we get on our patio) are the other two we brought home or the ones that were here beforehand.

He’s gone ๐Ÿ˜ž

Last night he came out just after 8:00pm, had a little to eat then wandered off in the opposite direction to normal. No sign of him coming back and he’s not in his nest this morning. Still, he was with us for a week and he may yet come back.

Nic

Hi Lewisdad

That is sad, but don’t give up hope, as you say, he may be back. They do tend to move nests, from time to time, so it may be that he thought it was time for a change, but might still come back for food. But also the males do tend to go off to hibernate much earlier than the females and sometimes disappear in September. Fingers crossed he’s ok.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog