Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Any Merseyside Champions Around

Home Forums Champions’ chat Any Merseyside Champions Around

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    I’m based in the Knowsley area of Merseyside and have numerous Hedgehogs coming into my garden. I’m wondering if there are any Champions in my area I could communicate with, who can help me should need advice or bring a Hedgehog to should i need it. I’ve notice ticks on one of my Hogs and it seems quite small . I’m reluctant to remove ticks in case i hurt the Hog or cause more damage. It’ll also helpful to learn from the Champion should i need it. TIA

Hi Bonnie, I am based in Liverpool, but unfortunately no expert on examination or assessing health of hedgehogs, but happy to share any tips! Last year I needed help with a small hog that visited my garden and also had many ticks, so I got a local vet contact from an advice here. It is based in Mossley Hill in Liverpool, mossley.hill@medivet.co.uk
    I hope this helps, and hope your visitors continue to come for long!

Nic

Hi Bonnie

So sorry your post seems to have got missed for so long – maybe because you mentioned the area, and none of us answered because we weren’t in your area. Thanks, the Gallaghers for bringing it back to the top!

It is not unusual for hogs to have a certain number of ticks and unless there are lots and/or the hog is otherwise unwell, it’s usually o.k. The thing to remember is that the larger the tick is, the nearer it is to dropping off. But if you have a hog house, these can be places that hogs can pick up more ticks. So if you are absolutely certain there are no hogs in residence then you can clean them out with boiling water to kill any parasite eggs. (Don’t use chemicals). More information about cleaning out hog houses: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/cleaning-out-boxes/

If you want to find your nearest hog carer/rehabilitator, in case any hogs have problems i.e. are sick or injured and need help, you can get contact details by ringing the BHPS on 01584 890801.

Otherwise, you can usually find someone on the forum who is happy to try to help with any questions.

There is also loads of information on Hedgehog Street – well worth exploring and lots to learn.

Good luck and happy hog watching.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog