Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Apologies if this is already a 'known' known..

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Apologies if this is already a 'known' known..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Whilst trying to catch our injured Hog recently in the shrubs in the dark of night.. ( she’s doing well, recovering in Hogpital as we speak..! ) ..I discovered, by chance, that my key ring torch is actually a UV / ‘black light’ LED torch..! Used to check banknotes etc..

So…. whilst not particularly illuminating in terms of lighting your way with it’s dull blue glow ( & as I say, sorry if this is a familiar phenomenon ) ..it does however, demonstrate that Hog spines / quills fluoresce a rather natty shade of pink at the lighter tips!!! ( .. the dry food I have glows a vivid shade of highlighter yellow..!! Making Hog Haus look more like a rave than a nature sanctuary..!! ) LOL!

On a serious note, because I knew I had an injured Hog I needed to track urgently, I bought a more powerful one ( only £5 ) & the additional output meant I could spot them in the borders from a good distance & locate our injured one, otherwise invisible in amongst the shrubs.. job done!

One word of caution to consider

– not sure how much of a factor this is, but it’s advised not to look directly at the torch light for a prolonged period as can temporarily irritate the eyes – but my experience has been that in each instance, Hog has turned away already realising your presence.. & showing off to full effect the pink tipped highlight show!! So shouldn’t be an issue for the time it takes to locate & rescue..

As I say, apologies if everyone knew this already – but hopefully the info is of help to anyone who finds themselves in the same situation!

That’s a new one on me Puds, sounds brilliant. Hopefully I won’t need to do any hognapping for a while, but if I do I shall definately give it a go. 🙂

Hi Puds
    Very interesting read and I may be in the minority but it was useful news for me!
    Im seriously hoping I’m not in a position to have to capture a hog, but useful bit of info if I do. My garden is jam packed with flowers, shrubs and trees – when the hogs are foraging in the borders, you can hear them but never see them .
    But I think having a rave going on in the boarders would help lol .
    Great to hear you managed to help your little visitor!
    Happy hog watching!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog