Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

April’s Full Moon – does it influence Hogs?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings April’s Full Moon – does it influence Hogs?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello,
    Last night (Tuesday 27th April) I was really surprised (and excited) to see some of the most hog action so far that I have seen. I am wondering if it is linked to the moon as I know some animals use this in their feeding/mating patterns given the frantic behaviour I would not be surprised…. (sorry if this sounds a bit odd!)
    Around 10pm last night I caught sight of my regular male hog circling a new hog I can assume it was a female. She was at least half his size, and it seems has 3 large splodges of white paint on her. I may have seen her once before but thought the white was her spine colour but it is definitely paint which is a bit sad to see.
    Then Hog No.3 (my other regular visiting hog) which I now know is a male came frantically dashing about, spotted them and engaged in a fight which was quite difficult to watch, I know this is natural and all were seemingly unharmed. This continued with pauses for feeding and each going to their own feeding station, except Hog 3 who continued his mad dash around the garden! Male Hog 1 then disappeared and female and Hog 3 continued huffing and puffing. I am not sure either male was successful in their quest and my original male clearly got the wrong end. Interesting my original male usually the more aggressive seemed to be getting a battering this time, and left the scene having eaten some food and initially the female followed then tottered back for food!
    I wonder if the female is too small (maybe last years hoglet) and would reject both due to this or if this is perfectly natural and would be mature enough to breed? I saw her emerge from my hog house around 9.15 so perhaps she is preparing a nest and there may be hoglets on the way if things continue. The male also pops into the house, so I have built another.
    PS. Should I do anything about the paint on her back. I will post some pictures .

Hi, this is perfectly normal behaviour. The female may mate with one or both of them, or none at all if not in the mood. They start breeding in their 2nd year so if born last year then it’s very likely she will breed this year.
    Regarding the paint, it’s likely to make more mess and distress the hog if you try to wash it off. It will wear off eventually

Hi Stef,
    Thanks that’s good to hear. I know it’s best not to interve as they are wild also hope the paint will wear off. Good news as the female was around tonight, no sign of the males, but she had a good feed then headed back into the house around 11pm. Such fun to watch and I read somewhere that hoglets in the same litter can have different fathers so with two males around this could well be possible.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog