Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Are gravel paths ok for hedgehogs?

Home Forums Champions’ chat Are gravel paths ok for hedgehogs?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    gfs

Hello to everyone.

We have a number of hedgehogs that visit our garden each night. Our house is detached and has an old worn out driveway all the way around. We are planning on having it changed this year to gravel (mid-large sized) but I’ve been wondering if this could be a problem for the hedgies? Do they walk, or sprint even, on gravel or could it be discouraging for them? The garden that they love is at the back of the house, so they will have to walk on the gravel to get there. The gravel will be compacted, so not the kind that scrunches as you walk on it.

Many thanks for any help/info you can provide.

Grant

Hi
    My garden is partly gravel (10mm pea gravel) not compacted. There are large garden beds/trees planted also. The hedgehogs never have any trouble on the gravel surfaces (albeit smaller stones than you are planning.) They seem oblivious to the harder surface, I have seen them in ‘fast’ mode sprinting across the surface. I have many garden visitors but maybe North Yorkshire hedgehogs have tough feet? ๐Ÿ™‚

Don’t worry about it most of my garden is gravel and it has made no difference to my visitors, i have got a wild bit . Since we got rid of the grass they still visit and have also nested in their house on the gravel so don’t worry, their hardy little creatures.

gfs

Thank you for the replies Celeste and ScoobySue. That’s reassuring. I was wondering about having a flatter edge/border to the gravel, but we’ll go ahead and see if it’s ok. I’ll report back if they don’t like it. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog