Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Automatic Dog and Cat feeders

Home Forums Champions’ chat Automatic Dog and Cat feeders

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

HI was wondering if anybody has used the automatic feeders for cat’s and dog’s for Hedgehogs. Am going away and have got a few visitors needing food , have looked at them but they need to be put in a cat proof box, can use one of them for water and leave it outside the box but not the food one so don’ know if it will be too tall to fit in box thx

Nic

Hi scoobysue

Automatic feeders have been discussed on the forum before – I think at that time they weren’t very successful, but designs may have changed since then. The best thing to do is ask a neighbour to feed and provide water for the hogs when you go away – it may get them interested in the hogs as well.

I never saw that feed , but this time its not possible to get neighbours do it .Thanks Nic

Nic

Hi scoobysue

It was quite old – some of the really old ones were deleted when they revamped things.

Sorry to hear it’s not possible to get neighbours to help – I know it isn’t always possible. It’s probably worth trying the feeder before you go. It could be useful to others on Hedgehog Street if it works. Sometimes it takes hogs a while to get used to things, too. But the perceived wisdom is that, as what we offer the hogs is supposed to be supplementary, hopefully the hogs would be able to find wild food for a short period of time. Water could be more of a problem, even if left in the shade. Hopefully what we just had was the last of that really hot weather (although that might be wishful thinking!). But it might be useful to know if the hogs do take to the water ‘feeder’. That should, of course, be left in the shade, too – although I’d be slightly worried about it getting algae in it (if left for several days) if the weather got really hot again.

But it looks as if you might have to be the ‘experimenter’ to see if the hogs take to the feeders. Let us know how you get on with them.

Automatic feeders are quite a useful invention of mankind. If you don’t have time, work a lot, are away from home, and have no one to ask for help, an automatic feeder will come in handy.

Nic

Hi CalePerry

Does that mean that you have used automatic feeders for offering food to hedgehogs and that they took to them ok?

Hi all i did go away and leave the hogs for 2 weeks, i didn’t get the automatic feeders, i just put as much food in the feeder tub , and when i came back it was all gone. So the first night i came home i filled it up and fresh water and the hogs never held it against me as they all came back so all is good .

Nic

Hi scoobysue

Really glad to hear the hogs didn’t hold it against you! Good old hogs! Glad that the perceived wisdom turned out to be right for you and the hogs there. Hope you had a good holiday as well.

Nic

Hi CalePerry

I noticed it looked as if you had posted again, but it hasn’t appeared here – possibly because you used links(?) which the Captcha thing doesn’t always like. But you might like to try again? It would be useful to know if hedgehogs will take easily to those automatic feeders, if you have that information.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog