Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Autumn juvenile

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Autumn juvenile

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi, I have a family of hogs in my garden but this week I’ve noticed what looks like an autumn juvenile up during the day looking for food. I’ve been putting out hog food every day. Earlier in the week this little hog was scuttling about for about half an hour, feeding then going back into one of the hog houses. But yesterday I noticed when it was up during the day it was a bit wobbly. I contacted my local hog rescuer and he asked me to bring the little hog to him. He said it sounded like hypothermia and didn’t sound hopeful of it surviving.
    I’m going to call him tomorrow to see how it’s doing.
    If it does hopefully make it, and Richard is happy for me to care for it, am I right in thinking I then have two options depending on the hogs weight?
    To over winter or to let it hibernate. Either way, I have a small summerhouse which is currently unheated but I do have electricity and a light in it. Would it be worthwhile buying a ceramic heated bulb and if so, what watt would I need (the summerhouse is no more than 5ftx4ft)? If the hog can hibernate, I could put the hog house in there and keep a supply of water and food through the winter (I did this for its mum last year) but would I still need the heat or are both scenarios unrealistic and I should leave it with Richard? If overwintering if needed, I’m at home all day to care for it.

Many thanks

Nic

Hi Lisylee

Well done for getting help for the little hog. Hogs don’t tend to look unwell until they are really unwell, so it’s always best to get them checked sooner rather than later, if possible. Being out in the day is often a warning sign.

I would take your lead from Richard and do what he suggests. It’s very difficult sometimes to give advice on here, without knowing the full picture. But he will know what the little hog needs and you can describe what you can offer more fully to him, than is possible on the Forum.

I hope the news is good about the little one. Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog