Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Baby hedgehog out in daylight

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Baby hedgehog out in daylight

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    Last night I caught on camera new baby hedgehog feeding and building a nest behind my feeding station.

I’ve just been looking out the window (3pm)and out it comes again, straight into the feeding station, eats, drinks and goes back to bed behind.

It seems healthy enough, so. my question is…. Is it always bad that a hog is out in the day? Could it just been feeding itself up for Autumn/Winter?

Nic

Hi sarah75

Yes, it is usually bad for a young hog to be out during the day, but an adult female could be out during the day and be undertaking nest building – although it’s a bit late in the year for building a birthing nest and it tends to be more in the Summer that females may come out to get a break from youngsters. But you say the hog is a ‘new baby’. Also, unless they are already extremely unhealthy, it isn’t possible to tell whether a hog is healthy or not just by looking at it – especially from a distance.

Your post raises various questions. I suggest you contact your nearest hog carer/rehabilitator and discuss it with them and take their advice. You can explain in more detail than is possible on the forum and they can ask any questions.

You can get contact details of your nearest hog carer/rehabilitator by ringing BHPS on 01584 890801

Good luck. I hope all goes well.

Just a little update. I waited 4 days for the local hedgehog rescue to get back to me, with no luck after numerous contacts.
    I eventually contacted RSPCA, got a code and took the baby to the local vets as he was coming out more frequently in the day.
    He is so small, it’s touch and go but they are taking good care of him. Thanks for your advice x

Nic

Hi sarah75

Well done getting help for the little one. Fingers crossed for it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog