Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap


Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Baby hog!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • #17718

    I foster/rescue hogs and have very recently been given a teeny tiny hog. Weighs 70g – eyes still not open but one is just starting too, has tiny front teeth – still taking a feed every 3 hours.
    She has spine loss at the back, I first thought she could be loosing her baby spines but I’m now suspecting mites as it’s a large area that is sore and scabby! What can be used to treat mites please?

    *she is a wild hoggy *


    Hi, this forum is usually monitored by people who know what to do, can I suggest you re write “Help, baby hog needs attention” poor thing must be so uncomfortable, best of luck.


    The usual treatment for mites is ivermectin ( ivomec ) as a spot on. However, you should really do a skin scrape if you cannot see the mites
    It is just as likely to be ringworm, the treatment for that being Imaverol washes. ( you can use human athletes foot powder in an emergency as imaverol is not available over the counter as such )
    To be honest without seeing it it’s impossible to diagnose and I’d suggest taking to your nearest proper carer or vet
    Meanwhile you could use highly diluted tea tree oil on the area if the skin isn’t broken.

    Be aware mites, mange and ringworm are all contagious to humans so make sure you take relevant precautions



    Thankyou, she is off to vets tomorrow 🙂


    Hi there. I would love to foster injured or young hogs. Can someone advise me how to do this please.🦔🦔


    Hi Christina

    Lovely to hear that you’re interested. There are 2 routes. You could either do a course with a wildlife sanctuary – Vale Wildlife hospital run one for example. Then you could register with the BHPS or one of the other wildlife charities as a carer.
    Alternatively you could find you nearest carer and ask then if they could take you on as a helper so you could learn and help them.

    Looking after sick/injured hogs is constant work and expense so it’s an idea to at least talk to your nearest carer to get an idea of what is involved before finding you’ve signed up for more than you bargained for

    I hope you do proceed as obviously the more carers out there the more can be helped, so I wish you the best

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.