Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Baby? Mum?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

We have had 2 hedgehogs in the garden for the last year. I assumed male and female as I’ve seen them dancing around each other and grunting/pushing.

We put a hedgehog house out and regular food and one of them started to use it. We have a camera outside so saw it coming in and out of the house.

This past week there has been, what looks like, a completely different hedgehog coming in and out of the house. It looks smaller, skinnier and scruffier and last night spent hours taking in nesting materials. I have also seen the fatter hog around last night too.

Is this a baby? Do they nest at this time of year? Or is it a knackered new mummy hog and the babies are inside the house?!

Nic

Hi ChelleBelle86

It sounds as if the hog might be a prospective Mother building a nest. The males at this time of year probably wouldn’t be taking much material in. The best thing you can do is keep providing the supplementary food and even more important water all day every day.

Good luck. Fingers crossed for some healthy hoglets shortly.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog