Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Back at last in West Sussex

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Back at last in West Sussex

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

During the heatwave last summer all my hogs disappeared. No sign for the rest of the year; none stoking up for hibernation, nothing. I started putting food out earlier this month more in hope than expectation and when it was taken I feared that I was probably just feeding rats.

But today I found some hog droppings in the garden and I’ve just seen one hog (perhaps two), the first sighting in over seven months. I can’t tell you how happy this has made me.

By the way, I see see postings regarding markings. If you are even thinking about marking hogs… please don’t. Unless you are doing serious research this is just self indulgent and really harmful. It is hard enough for hogs as it is; they are not your toys.

From West Sussex. Have had a single HH hibernating since October last year. It’s been foraging over the last few days (I put some food out when I noticed he/she was more active. Lat night I saw this HH plus another strolling about the garden ‘together’. I also note that the amount of ‘bedding’ material has doubled in the box used for hibernating. I wonder if this is an early nest?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog