Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Badger

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Badger

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

My sister lives on the edge of a small rural village and has been feeding hogs since January. Her feeding station is a large heavy purpose-built one and she has seen up to 4 visiting hogs with visits every night. Last week, a badger was filmed on her trailcam digging the dishes out of the feeder and pushing it around. She has never seen a badger in the area before and is concerned that it might predate the hogs. She has stopped feeding the hogs in the hope the badger will move elsewhere (no luck so far). Has anyone any experience of badgers?

Hi Mags63, yes i had a badger last year turn up in around March. As it is good for hedgehogs where i live i stopped all feeding. As some of the hedgehogs were marked that told me i wasn`t the only one feeding. It did work in the end but took several months. The visits from the badger gradually decreased until it stopped coming in. The hedgehogs gradually moved back, and once i had seen them i started to put some food out again.
    If your sister feeds the birds as well it would be worth noting to sweep up any food spills on the ground daily while the badger is around, and yes badgers will take hedgehogs for food.

Willpar.

hi William, many thanks – have passed this on to my sister. She has had one or two nights with no trailcam footage of the badger so hope this will continue. At least it’s only a (greedy) mouse which shares the hog food in my feeder – since I finally managed to keep the local cats out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog