Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Badger!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I regularly get hedgehogs in my garden and they quite often stay in our purpose built hedgehog run, complete with hog house and access via a plastic drainpipe to deter the cats getting in. I have a camera ‘Hedgecam’ we call it.
    We have captured a visiting Fox who has a quick sniff and leaves plus next doors cats, who do the same and the odd field mouse who can get in to grab a bit of their food and run, but last night for the first time we saw a Badger, which was thrilling until I realised that they eat hedgehogs. Now I am a bit worried about their safety.

I’ve had similar sightings in my garden and am currently trying to dissuade a fox from visiting. They may seem to get along with adult hogs but there is plenty of evidence that they can cause problems, particularly for hoglets. I had a badger visit a couple of years ago and, apart from leaving big poo filled holes they caused damage to the fence by tunnelling and they are bad news for hogs. I think you need to find out where it’s getting in and try and block this off. I used heavy slabs, old kitchen work surfaces and anything else that I could find . He eventually lost interest and went off to easier pickings. I make sure as well that hog food and water is secured under cover. Good luck!

Thank you. I make sure that all food and water is safely inside the pen. As for securing the borders that’s not so easy as I live in open countryside with a large garden which would be enormously expensive to fence off completely. In all the time I’ve had Hedgecam though that is the only time I’ve seen a badger. I must just hope that it was a one off.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog