Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Best Kitten Biscuits?!

Home Forums Champions’ chat Best Kitten Biscuits?!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello
    I have been feeding my hogs Go Cat kitten biscuits as they have been costing me a fortune in hog food. I notice these now have ‘added milk ‘ . I know hogs are lactose intolerant but would this small amount of dried milk affect them ? I have not chanced it so far. Can anyone recommend any other makes of kitten biscuit? I bought expensive ones from the local pet shop and of course they won’t eat them !
    Also are calci worms safe or are they the same issues as meal worms ?
    Thank you 🙂

Nic

Hi Alison

I don’t know whether the ‘added milk’ in Go Cat Kitten Biscuits is significant in relation to hogs. Maybe it’s something to ask BHPS about. It may depend on exactly what they mean by added milk – whether it contains lactose, etc.

But if you ask for recommendations of kitten biscuit makes, it’s quite likely you could end up with as many makes recommended as replies you get! But hogs are notorious for not, at first, taking to a different brand of food, although they will usually eat it in the end if you stick to it and they’re hungry.

Re. calci-worms, the jury is still out, so I think they are best avoided until or if there is any research on the matter. Ironically it could be that they have too much calcium in them, which can also be bad. But also it isn’t a good idea to offer hogs single foods types like that. It’s better to give them a mix, i.e. cat/dog/meaty hog food or cat/kitten biscuits.

I would stick to trying to use the kitten biscuits you have. Now being so soon after hibernation, for most of them, is a good time if you want to try a different brand as they shouldn’t have got too used to the other type yet this season.

Good luck and happy hog watching.

Hi Alison

On the recommendation of Hedgehog Cabin who rescues hedgehogs in large numbers I’ve been buying Smilla Chicken kitten biscuits online from Zooplus in a large bag for the last year or two. It’s a good food for the hogs & nice & small so suitable for hoglets as well as adults.

I use the Sainsbury’s own brand kitten biscuits, and the Smilla as a backup when the Sainsbury’s biscuits are hard to get. ( I also follow Hedgehog Cabin on Twitter, and have had some excellent advice from the team over there. They recommend avoiding both mealworms and calci-worms).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog