Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Best wildlife camera to use?

Home Forums Champions’ chat Best wildlife camera to use?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

I am afraid to say the cheap cameras are very poor and unreliable, as I know to my cost. Having tried various makes and type of cameras around £50 or so, all of which failed at some point for various reasons, I bought a Browning BTC-7e and use it with rechargeable Energizer batteries. I have had it for around a year now and it hasn’t skipped a beat. During the winter the batteries struggle but a fully charged set will get you through the coldest nights. During the summer (when of course there is much more activity) I change them around every five nights. Buying a charger and two sets of batteries means you can aways have a set fully charged ready to go.

This camera has sat out in the extremes of weather, first, rain, snow, hail etc. and just keeps working.

I use it on a small tripod and set it up to record from around two hours before sunset and finish about 8am. If you are in a quiet location it is surprising at this time of year with short nights how much activity there is during daylight/dusk, especially the breeding females.

I have sat out all night recording activity and then checked the camera to see if it ties up with what I saw, so i was confident i wasn’t missing anything and the triggers etc. are set correctly.

Admittedly this is not a cheap option and is a reasonable outlay but well worth it in the long run.

Colin.

There is obviously a distinct difference in our experiences, Colin. I found the particular model of cheap camera that I use to be really quite reliable. The only failure I have had is after a fox decided to chew one! It is certainly true that the more expensive cameras are more robust. I have a Browning that I use for some purposes as it has a much narrower field of view. However, the six T20s I use capture the majority of the footage I take.

Cameras are nothing more than tools to carry out a task, and if you’ve found the tool that works for your needs, that is excellent. However, different people will have varying circumstances that they want a camera for. Hence trying to put together some videos that bring together questions that are worth asking when thinking of buying and operating wildlife cameras.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog