Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Blackbird thief

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Blackbird thief

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

All summer I have had a male blackbird who regularly steals the dry hedgehog food I put in my feeding station. He’ll go right into the station to take the nuggets out of the bowl to feed to his babies. I’ve had to start feeding the hedgehogs in the evening.
    He’s brought his young to the area when they’ve fledged so it can’t have harmed them. He conned me out of lots of mealworms as a replacement!

Nic

Thepiglady

Clever blackbird! I usually scatter kitten biscuits on the grass for the hedgehogs and get all sorts of birds (mostly corvids) after any remains in the morning. I’ve had starlings go into hog boxes for food, but not blackbirds. Glad to hear it didn’t do his youngsters any harm. Although I think he might be on to a better bet with the mealworms for the young blackbirds (although not for the hedgehogs, of course.)

Although not sure why you say ‘I’ve had to start feeding the hedgehogs in the evening.’ The best time to leave food for the hedgehogs is in the evening, just before it starts getting dark.

Hopefully you’re also leaving water for the hogs already, but if not it’s best to leave water available for them all day, every day, including during winter – just in case.

Good luck and happy hog (and blackbird!) watching.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog