Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Busy Hogs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

We had a record number of hedgehog visits last night, our camera had 51 takes! though several were from our visiting wood mice! our camera showed us 3 visiting at 8.15 then several more came for regular visits during the night, I still have trouble identifying the individuals, but we noticed a smaller one we had not seen before, the final visit was about 4.15 by which time I presume the bowls were empty, as they normally finish by about 5.30. I think they must be filling up for winter hibernation. I had increased the amount I put out, but I will put out extra food tonight, I use the dried Spikes which they seem to love. I am going on holiday next week, so i am relying on my daughter to feed them, they may find they have smaller rations!

Nic

Hi hollydog86

Really good news about the hogs, especially the little one. It sounds likely that it is one of this year’s hoglets – they often seem to miraculously appear at this time of year!

Keep at it with the id – you’ll get there in the end. I always find it helpful to make notes and sketches. It has the effect of encouraging you to look more closely at the markings, I find. Mostly then you will soon find something different about one hog from another.

Glad to hear you have enlisted the help of your daughter to feed the hogs (and hopefully provide fresh water). Hope you have a good holiday.

Hi Nic
    Hopefully she will remember to give them fresh water with the food while we are away. But we do have 3 shallow water bowls located round the garden as well as a shallow wildlife pond which is located near the feeding box, which I have seen them using. So they will not go thirsty, especially if it rains!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog