Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Camera mounting

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Camera mounting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi.

Apologies if this has been asked before, the forum does not seem to have a search function.
    Any tips on positioning and mounting a wildlife camera to capture the hedgehogs? I don’t have any useable tree nearby.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Dana, i have found that ground level works for me. If you put the camera on a tree then any hedgehogs can look quite distant. I have two cameras that i put out at the moment, and they monitor the feeding stations.

thanks William. My ground is pretty uneven, which makes finding the best spot difficult. Which camera do you have?

Hi if you have a camera with screw mounts (not sure if that is the correct name) you could use a short screw in bankstick, banksticks what fishing people use. The bankstick can be screwed to the camera, and then the bankstick pushed into the ground.

I have three bank sticks in total for my camera, a long one pointing at my bird feeder and two shorter ones for in the ground, the two shorter ones are so I can postion my camera in different place round my garden. I get plenty of footage of wildlife, using banksticks.

You could even try a very short tripod with adjustable legs, again if the camera has the screw mount.

Nic

Hi Dana

I have one camera attached to a water butt! But two others attached to posts. One specifically for the camera and another which is part of another structure. The bottom of the camera roughly 17 or 18 inches above the ground – angled very slightly downwards. I just put a fairly thin small offcut of wood behind the top of the cameras to angle them downwards. But you might need to adjust the height angle etc. according to the camera and where the hogs normally are, etc.

Good luck. Hope you get lots of good images.

thanks everyone. Great Ideas.

@syndibird, yes my camera has a tripod screw socket. Will look into those bank sticks.

No worries Dana, it took me a while and trying out different postions to get good footage of the wildlife that visits my garden. One surprise I had, was footage of a Heron landing in my garden.
    I have got some lovely footage of my resident hedgehog.

They are so rewarding these cameras, to be able to see what visits your garden and to keep log of times and dates of visitors, I find very interesting and have learnt some things.
    I am hoping to get an underwater camera next.

Good luck with using your camera.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog