Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Cameras and file size

Home Forums Champions’ chat Cameras and file size

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

All,

We recently upgraded our cameras and bought a Browning BTC-7C from NatureSpy.

They are very good and so much more reliable than the cheaper cameras we had been using. The only issue we have is that at high resolution a 20 sec video is around 60mb which is two big for easy exchange via WhatsApp, FB etc. Although since we also use DropBox for off line storage you can share a link to a particular file which is a workaround. However for example we can’t post our vids on here for the competition etc. So any recommendations for reducing file size. We don’t particularly want to reduce the resolution or take shorter clips.

There are some software packages that claim to compress the files but others have told me MP4 files are already compressed.

Any tips or ideas to get the file size below 50mb ?

Thanks

Colin.

I am not sure there is a perfect solution. I think all formats will use some form of compression. The file size will depend on the length of the video, resolution (4k/HD/Standard) and maybe any extras such as text, animation, transitions etc. Most of my videos are around 3-7mins and generally between 300mb and 1.5gb file size. They can be viewed on a TV or PC/Laptop with no problem. There are formats designed for viewing on mobile devices that will be much lower resolution but produce an acceptable image on a phone or tablet and of course have a much smaller file size. I now have over 40 videos taken over the last year of our hedgehogs. I do not post any of them to the Street YouTube site as I found this too awkward. So what I do is produce (edit, add transitions etc) a video from maybe 60-70 original clips of a particular nights activity and upload it to my YouTube Channel I have set up. I can then post the links to the videos on this forum, FB, or just to friends etc. This works quite well and I can add/delete videos as I want and even create an Album given recipients a link to all the content.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog