Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Can Hedgehogs eat Digestive biscuits broken up?

Home Forums Champions’ chat Can Hedgehogs eat Digestive biscuits broken up?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi,

My question is in the title. My mother told me that they enjoy eating them.

Kind Regards,
    Neil.

Nic

Hi DexterN33

I have no doubt that hedgehgos will eat digestive biscuits and enjoy them, but whether they are good for them is another matter. Hedgehogs have tiny little teeth so that anything with sugar in it is not good. But also sugary foods are not good for hogs in the same way that they are not good for us. If the hogs fill themselves up with that sort of thing, they may not eat as much more nutritious food.

If anyone wishes to offer hedgehogs supplementary food, then it’s best to stick to cat, dog or hedgehog food. That is treat enough for them. It’s best not to offer them any other type of food – there are so many things which are not good for them. They way I see it, if we are going to offer food to the hedgehogs then it needs to be as good for them as we can manage i.e. cat/dog/hog food. So I would encourage your Mother to exchange the digestive biscuits for cat/kitten biscuits which will be more nutritious to the hogs. They may not take to them immediately after having a sugary diet, but will eventually.

It’s very important also to leave some water out for the hogs all day every day. Wide but shallow plant saucers are ideal for that. They may be able to find a certain amount of food in the wild, but cannot always find water.

One of the best ways to help the hogs is to make sure that they have access to as many gardens as possible by providing holes in fences or walls, but also to make sure that our gardens are wildlife friendly.

Thank you. I will continue with Hedgehog food.

I do also provide water for them.

At the end of my garden, it is farmland, so they can freely access other gardens. I have purposely made sure that the fence that separates the farmland has plenty of space underneath it, for them to pass through, into neighbouring gardens/land.

Nic

That’s great DexterN33. Well done for making sure there were spaces under the fences for the hogs. That’s just what they need.

Good luck and happy hog watching.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog