Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Car means to run over hedgehog.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Car means to run over hedgehog.

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hello,
    I apologise for the upsetting title, but this is what I have witnessed tonight outside my house, the only car on the road and could have easily avoided as I was warning by pointing out the hedgehog crossing the road. This person deliberately re positioned their car and ran over the hedgehog and then smiled at me as they went by.
    My partner moved the hog to the green space it was crossing to and said it seemed fine but it was in a ball. We checked 15 minutes later and it was pottring around looking for food.
    My point in telling this story, what, if anything can be done about this? To me its deliberate cruelty and I’m concerned the hog is ok?
    Thanks.

Hi.
    Before I go into a rant about this- Can you get the hedgehog? It needs to be checked for internal injuries. Please call BHPS on 01584 890801. Did you see if the car actually hit?
    They will advise you what to do and if their is any action that can be taken against the idiot of a driver. I am absolutely horrified by the mindless imbeciles that could do this.
    Please let us know if there are any developments

Thankyou for the instructions, I will try to find the hedgehog tonight and do as you say. I was quite upset.
    I saw it go under the car, it was quite a
    ig hog so it could of been lucky and just swept under the car but I’m not 100% on that.

I can only imagine how upsetting that would be.
    Ring the BHPS and see what they say so you know what to do if you do find him.
    Fingers crossed he will be OK.
    Keep us posted.

Nic

Hi Fay86

Is there any chance that the car was being repositioned to make sure that the wheels missed the hog? i.e. that they were trying to protect it and that’s why they smiled. (Possibly depends on what sort of smile it was). Someone would have to have been particularly unpleasant to have tried to kill the hog, purposely.

If you think the person really was trying to kill the hog purposely, that is illegal. But unless you have details of the number plate of the car or know who it was, there probably isn’t much you can do, in that respect. But if you do you could report the incident to the police or RSPCA.

Fingers crossed that the hog is o.k.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog