Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Cat flap entry

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Cat flap entry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

We are lucky in that we live on a farm and have frequent hedgehog visitors (and probably residents). We feed them outside the house.
    Now we find that one has discovered how to enter through our cat flap!
    The cats and the hedgehog seem to ignore each other.
    But he’s not house-trained…..

Nic

Hi mungodaisy

Clever hedgehog! But no, they aren’t really house-trainable! I have heard of them getting through cat flaps before – probably easier if it’s one positioned quite low down, but they are also better climbers than many people think. Occasionally they are found to have been upstairs in houses!

Yes, cats and hogs normally tolerate each other. Although a cat might not try to eat from a bowl already occupied by a hog, but it depends a bit on the respective characters of the hogs and cats.

If it’s a problem, the only solution I can think of at the moment is those cat flaps that only allow cats with collars which have the right ‘signal’ in them to pass through them.

It’s not a problem – a few bits of poo.
    He’s actually discovered the radiator and sleeps underneath. But I’m afraid he’s going to be out of luck for hibernating (plenty of barn space though).

My cats are both fascinated by and frightened of the hogs. They watch then intently, but sitting up on chairs etc where they can’t be prickled. Fortunately the cat flap is high enough that the hogs don’t seem able to access it- the catties don’t need to be chased around indoors as well!

Nic

Hi mungodaisy

He may decide not to hibernate at all. Especially if he has found somewhere cosy to roll up and nap!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog