Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Cat proofing my hedgehog house

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Cat proofing my hedgehog house

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I have a hedgehog visitor for the second year running so I made a feeder, and bought a hedgehog house. On my nature camera I can see a cat has managed to squeeze into the feeder and eat the hog food. How do I stop this? Last year I created a tunnel of bricks and saw that the hedgehog was eating the food, but the new hog house doesn’t have a tunnel entrance ( and how small does it need to be anyway?)

Hi, there are lots of posts on this subject within the forum. My experience has shown that a tunnel can be very effective in stopping cats, but the critical factor is the length rather than the height/width. So a short tunnel which has dimensions allowing a hedgehog to enter might see a cat manage to squeeze through it. However, a longer tunnel of the same height/width will probably dissuade a cat while the hogs don’t have any issues with it. As I say this is my personal experience and I know that when I put in tunnels around 400mm long the cat would investigate, have a sniff and walk on. I guess at the end of the day you need to experiment and find what works for you, but I have never had a cat get into the feeding station using the above, while the hogs treat it as business as usual.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog