Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Cat scarers

Home Forums Champions’ chat Cat scarers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello,
    After finding a cat in our hedgehog feeding station i bought Pestbye battery operated cat scarer. It does deter cats but sadly I saw it scare a hedgehog 3 times. The hedgehog wasn’t in the feeding station it was sat on a low metal bird tray eating bird seed and it flinched/jumped before curling up. It uncurled slowly and tried to get offf the tray but startled quite severely. I had to pop out and turn it off afterwhich it semi uncurled and moved away visibly trying to avoid the sensor. It was distressing to see. There have been a lot of cat repellers that are said to be fine for hogs but I can guarantee this one isn’t. I did make a narrow, low tunnel entrance to the feeding station using a patio slab and bricks and this is proving successful so far. I hope this post helps others.

Nic

Happy2H

If anyone finds a cat repeller that says it’s fine for hogs, I wouldn’t believe it. In reality they are not able to test with hogs, so how can they know. Same with rat repellers. Best not to use either with hogs around.

Yes, you’re much better off creating a physical deterrant for cats. The best is some sort of tunnel or internal corridor where the height is not too high. The cats cat get under low things, but not if fairly narrow or have double back turns at the same time. So yours sounds as if it might be good. But if anyone has a hog box with a ‘corridor’ you can try putting bricks along the length of the corridor to lower the height. Hogs can easily climb over a brick. Just be aware that not all hogs will go into feed boxes – some prefer to eat al fresco.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog