Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Checking my Hedgehog House

Home Forums Champions’ chat Checking my Hedgehog House

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Nic

Hi DwarfHog

Sorry to hear about the graffitied hogs. BHPS actually have some information in relation to marking hogs:
    https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/faq/

Which I will copy here, so that anyone can pass the message on.
    [“Can I ‘mark’ my hedgehogs?

We’re pretty sure a hedgehog would rather not be marked, but if you are going to do it, please do ensure that you use a non-toxic water-based marker and mark just a few spines of the hedgehog. Keep the mark away from the hedgehog’s face and mark it in the garden on the ground rather than picking it up/bringing it indoors. Please don’t use red as people may mistake it for blood and ‘rescue’ it. Do not make hedgehog conspicuous to predators. We have seen some very sad images of poor hedgehogs practically covered in paint! If you are watching the hedgehogs on a wildlife camera you will often be able to tell them apart over time without the need for marking.”]

I have been seeing what looks suspiciously like hoglet poo (i.e. small) for a while now, but so far no hoglets. So either they have already learnt how to use their invisibility cloaks or one of the other hogs is just doing small poos for some reason.

Nic

‘A few spines’. If only everyone stuck to that if they feel they have to mark at all.

tiny versions of the same sort of material.

sorry my response above in relation to spotting hoglet poo. its very much smaller in all dimensions than adult poo.

Hi all after 3 years of adding a hedgehog house to our garden I have finally seen a hog collecting leaves the past 2 mornings at 5 am and taking them into this house I was soo excited. I’m really tempted to lift the lid to see what it has been doing (I wouldn’t touch anything) do you think this is ok ? And do you think it’s nesting many thanks

Oh how exciting and worth the wait ! It sounds like a hog building a nest and best to leave the house alone incase they abandon it and move on. Could you put a trail camera nearby to catch activity instead?
    Similar to previous posts in this thread regarding ‘grafitti’ one hog that visits my garden now appears to have a large white X on his back, previously one had a white line. I wish people could observe behaviour and natural markings to ID them instead…

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog