Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

concerned about council gardeners killing Hedgehog ( Newark On Trent)

Home Forums Hedgehog tales concerned about council gardeners killing Hedgehog ( Newark On Trent)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello to all you Hedgehog Loves

I live on a council estate around Newark On Trent. I come across more than ones in my garden after the council so called gardeners have been around I say so called as any real gardener would not kill them these are just people that cut the grass and nothing ells. I have a family of Hedgehogs that are there every year and I feed them and they have become friendly to a point. but I am finding dead Hedgehogs after the so called gardeners have been around and I have not seen any after the lest time they come and that was some weeks ago. I have told the council but Newark on trent Council care very little and getting them to do anything is hard work

Lee

Nic

Hi Lee

Sorry to hear about the problems there after strimmer use. Strimmers can cause terrible injuries and death of hogs so you are right to be concerned. If you find a hog with a strimmer injury try to get it help from a hog carer as soon as you can – don’t delay. You can get contact details of your nearest hog carers from BHPS on 01584 890801

The thing to do is try to suggest to the council ways they can easily minimise the risk of killing or injuring hogs. There are some suggestions here from BHPS here:

Excerpt from https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Hedgehog-Street-HEMP-guide.pdf :

Machinery
    Hedgehogs have no flight reflex and nest year round, making them vulnerable to machine injury.
    The solution
    The timing and method of habitat clearance has an impact on hedgehogs, but will need to be balanced with other biodiversity needs.Bramble disturbance is least hazardous in autumn to avoid the bird breeding season, the bulk of hedgehog breeding, and hibernation. Hedgehogs are generally absent from long grass in winter, making this the least hazardous time for cutting, but this isn’t necessarily the best time to cut wildlife meadows. We recommend rotational cutting so that there’s always an area left unstrimmed for insects to feed on and hedgehogs to nest in. A high-cut, low-cut method allows nest checks in-between, and increasing the blade height of mowers will minimise risks. Ensure all machine users are trained to be hedgehog aware. BHPS offer free waterproof stickers for machines to remind operatives to check for hedgehogs.

I will put some other links on separate posts – the Forum doesn’t always like having more than one per post. So more important that you get them than it looking a bit odd!

Nic

https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/hedgehog-heroes-roll-honour/

This is in relation to the stickers obtainable from BHPS

Nic
    Nic

https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/posters/dangers.pdf

A useful poster to put up in the neighbourhood.

Good luck. I hope some of this helps.

Nic
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog