Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Could they be hibernating under this shed?

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Could they be hibernating under this shed?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I need to remove a shed in my garden this week but am concereed in case there are hedgehogs hibernating underneath it. In the summer I have seen one or two going under it.

It is 8 x 10 and raised off of a concrete slab by only 2 3/4 inches (7 cm) so my gut feeling is that with such a tiny space between concrete and wood floor of shed there won’t be any under there hibernating. We have plenty of better places (the garden backs on to overgrown woodland).

Can anyone verify if it is an unlikely hibernation location.

Or, if it is possible they are there, what should I do when moving the shed out?

Hi, if you’ve seen hogs using the area then it’s highly likely that you will have a hog hibernating there. I would avoid moving the shed if you can until spring arrives and you see hogs about again.
    If you absolutely cannot wait then be careful with dismanting and be prepared to take the hog to a carer if you find one

OK, thanks, I had assumed they might not be able to build a nest in such a cramped space.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog